Mold in homes is a major problem, especially in humid climates. Leaky pipes, floods, or any other source of moister are great places for mold to grow. Many people are unaware that they have mold in their homes and some people aren't aware of the hazardous effects that it could have on their health.
Household molds can be almost any color but the most common are grey or black. Tiny particles known as spores are present in the air at all times and if they settle on the proper nutrients they can germinate. Such nutrients can include:
Mold is harmful to the material it grows on. It can lead to stains, discolorations, weak and rotten wood, damaged or destroyed fabrics, and even foul odors. If the moldy area is large enough it could produce enough airborne irritants to cause adverse health effects.
Affects of Exposure
Tiny particles of mold can float around in the air and be inhaled. Sometimes simple skin contact or ingestion is enough to induce a reaction. The most common symptoms of mold exposure are allergy-like:
Some people are extremely sensitive to mold and can have more severe reactions and may even develop mold in their lungs. However, mold is very rarely life-threatening.