Pre-test Questions for "Welcome to Your World"
Circle the BEST answer to each of the following questions:
1. The major source of energy for Earth is/are _____.
B. the Sun
C. the producers of electricity
2. Plants use _____ and _____ to form sugar.
A. oxygen; carbon dioxide
B. sunlight; oxygen
C. carbon dioxide; glucose
D. glucose; oxygen
E. carbon dioxide; sunlight
3. A food chain is a series of organisms that transfer _____ between
levels of an ecosystem.
4. If you switched to an all plant diet, you would be classified as
5. Which of the following CANNOT be recycled?
6. The conversion of water from a liquid to a gaseous form is known
7. The majority of the Earth's water is _____.
A. found in the oceans
B. stored in clouds
C. frozen as ice at the North and South Pole
D. in rivers, streams, and lakes
E. unavailable beneath the Earth's surface
8. Which of the following is an important store for carbon dioxide?
C. the atmosphere
D. fossil fuels
E. all of these are important stores for carbon dioxide
9. Nitrogen is required by organisms to produce _____.
B. amino acids
10. What is the correct formula for Risk?
A. Risk = Toxicity / Exposure
B. Risk = Toxicity + Exposure
C. Risk = Toxicity - Exposure
D. Risk = Toxicity x Exposure
E. Risk = Toxicity + 1/Exposure
11. If a very toxic substance is stored in a way that no one is exposed
to it, the risk
of injury or toxicity is ______:
E. unable to be determined
12. All of the following are usual ways in which a compound can enter
A. eating the compound
B. drinking water contaminated with the compound
C. inhaling the compound
D. injection into the skin by a mosquito
E. coming in contact with the compound through the skin